"I have no borders"

900-275 Slater Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5H9
Phone: (613) 231-7054


Western Europe

Apply IN PERSON at the nearest Schengen country Embassy or Consulate General.

Canadian citizens using Canadian passports do not require a visa to enter the Schengen Area of countries in Europe for tourism or business stays under ninety (90) days.

The "Schengen" agreement was signed by seven countries in Luxembourg in 1985. The agreement now covers twenty-four countries in Europe, forming a giant borderless zone from Lisboa, Portugal, all the way to Tallinn, Estonia; and extending up from the Mediterranean Sea to beyond the Arctic Circle. The area has a population of 400 million.

Apply IN PERSON at the nearest Schengen country Embassy or Consulate General.

Nationals of the following countries or places require a Schengen visa for any travel purpose: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burma/Myanmar, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Cote d'Ivoire, Cuba, DR Congo, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Macedonia (FRY), Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Northern Mariana's, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, Sao Tome & Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent & the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Nationals of the following countries require an Airport Transit Visa (ATV) in all Schengen countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Congo (DRC), Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka.


Apply IN PERSON at the nearest Schengen country Embassy or Consulate General.


If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa from the country which is your main destination, or at least the country of arrival if you have no main destination. A visa to one is a visa to all.

The Schengen area is made up of countries of the European Union, but does not include the United Kingdom and Ireland. The Schengen process is to utilize common immigration rules for visas and border control.

The following countries are party to the Schengen Agreement on border controls, and use a standard visa application form. This Schengen Area is a single region for the purpose of border control and visa requirements.

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

Countries that are not yet fully part of the Schengen Agreement
These states have visa requirements under adjustment to comply with the EU's common visa policy, but controls are still in place at the borders as the EU's external frontiers do not yet include them:

  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Romania

Apply IN PERSON at the nearest Schengen country Embassy or Consulate General.


Type A Schengen visa
Airport transit visa. This visa requirement represents an exception to the general rule allowing individuals to remain without a visa within the international transit area. This document authorises transit solely through the international area of the airport.

Type B Schengen visa
Transit visa. This document authorises transit through several countries starting from a third State and with a third State as the destination. The transit period must not exceed five days.

Type C Schengen visa
Short visit visa or travel visa, visa for several entries: a visa allowing aliens to enter the territory of the Schengen States for an uninterrupted maximum stay of 90 days or for one or more successive visits over a period of six months, with the total period not exceeding 90 days. Visas issued by Belgian diplomatic and consular authorities may not be valid for more than one year, the period during which the authorised visit may be made. The visa may be issued for one or more entries.

Type A, B or C collective Schengen visa
Transit visa for a visit of no more than 30 days, that may be affixed to a collective passport and issued to aliens travelling as a group. The group must have been in existence for a certain time and be organised socially and institutionally; it must comprise at least 5 and no more than 50 persons; it must include an individual with responsibility for keeping the passport and must enter the Schengen territory, remain there and leave as a group.

Type D Schengen visa
National visa for a visit of up to 90 days, valid for the territory of the Schengen State that issued the visa but also valid for transit through the territory of other Schengen States for the purpose of reaching the State that issued the visa.

Type D + C Schengen visa
Visa allowing the alien, on arrival in the destination Schengen State in possession of a type D visa, to move freely in the Schengen area for the first three months following his/her arrival, pending the issue of their definitive residence document.


All Schengen states now require compulsory travel medical insurance of at least Euros 30 000 per visitn (often 40 000). Proof of insurance coverage, valid for the entire Schengen zone, covering medical costs and repratriation, MUST be submitted with any Schengen application.

Apply IN PERSON at the nearest Schengen country Embassy or Consulate General.